Monday, January 31, 2011

The Beer House




One of the best things about following the Let's Go guide through the US is that next to the cultural sites, like museums and historic homes, it lists things like "The Beer House." When I saw this was one of Houston's landmarks, it quickly went to the top of my to-do list. I mean, come on -- it's a house made from beer cans!

I drove up fully expecting to see the bright blue house from the Bud Light Superbowl commercial last year. When I saw that it wasn't, I was sadly disappointed and yet still oddly fascinated. The guy (clearly another crazy) who did this didn't stack the cans, but instead cut them open and tacked the aluminum squares to the house as siding. (A handy side effect was that this made the house quite energy efficient.) Over the years, the labels have faded and now the house looks like a big silver box. He took the tops of the cans
Bud Light Beer House Commercial
and created garland that hangs off the sides. It acts like wind-chimes and even the slightest breeze sets the house to jingling. Between this and the tourists, the neighbors in this residential area must curse this man every day. Inside the house was a quote that I found that summed up the entire place: "I don't consider this art. It's just a pastime. But something I lie awake at night, trying to figure out why I do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment